Welcome to the St. Symphorosa Parish Religious Education Program! In the Rite of Baptism, parents are called the first teachers of the faith of their child. Catholic Christian parents/guardians are called to live in a manner which brings children to a knowledge of a loving God and the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. To assist parents/guardians in their obligation to instruct their children in matters of faith, the St. Symphorosa Parish Religious Education Program offers structured, continuous religious education and formation for students at the elementary school level.
Choosing a program of religious education for your child requires prayerful, thoughtful consideration. As you consider your child’s faith formation and sacramental preparation, we invite you to consider St. Symphorosa Parish Religious Education Program. We believe that we offer a faith-filled, well-organized, structured program to the parents and young people of our community. Here are some points about our program that you should keep in mind when choosing a program of religious education for your public school child:
4. The program is designed to instruct students in Catholic Christian doctrine as well as to familiarize them with Catholic traditions and liturgical celebrations.
5. The Program is headed by a Coordinator of Religious Education, who is fully certified by the Office for Catechesis of the Archdiocese of Chicago.
6. Our catechists receive training in faith formation and catechesis approved by the Archdiocese. Many of our catechists will have achieved full certification (over 48 hours of training).
7. Each class session includes a community prayer experience (to which parents are invited) or a sacramental or liturgical celebration involving all participants in the program.
8. Each class is guided by a trained adult Catholic catechist who generously gives of his or her time and talent and enjoys working with our young people.
9. Texts and materials used in the program have been approved by the Catholic bishops and are in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
10. Children enjoy being a part of the St. Symphorosa Religious Education Program.
1. Classes are conveniently scheduled on Saturday mornings (9:30 – 11:00 AM). The scheduled sessions result in one of the highest time in class rates in the Archdiocese, thus allowing for optimal learning.
2. The program is fully supported by the staff of St. Symphorosa Parish. Our Pastor Father Idzi, is a visible presence who actively supports our program.
3. Students learn about their faith through a variety of teaching methods and materials: songs, videos, projects, art, stories, etc.
To register for Religious Education, please call Judy Banasiak at (773) 767-1523 x226